COMMENCEMENT AND CONVOCATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR IRA A. FULTON COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY
August 16, 2013 Smith Fieldhouse 11:00 a.m.
PLEASE ARRIVE AT THE FIELDHOUSE
AT 10:15 a.m.
1. Dress. Please come wearing academic regalia (cap and gown) to line up. If you are a member of Phi Kappa Phi, the ribbon should be attached to the left side of your gown with the letters at the top.
2. Directions for Lining Up.
Commencement - All graduating students are invited to attend the general University Commencement to be held at 4:00 p.m., Thursday August 15, 2013 at the Marriott Center. Instructions and information concerning University Commencement will be given when you pick up your cap and gown at the Hinckley Building, beginning August 14th. If you did not order your cap and gown already, you should still be able to make arrangements at the Hinckley Building the week of graduation. To find general information about graduation online please visit:
Convocation - Please come at 10:15 a.m., to the West Annex of the Smith Fieldhouse. There will be another convocation before ours which may contribute to some traffic congestion. Please allow a little extra time for parking. Go to the tables that are set up by major and get your name card. Your name will be read from this card, so if your name is difficult to pronounce, print it so there will be no misunderstanding about how to pronounce it. (We do not read second majors or minors.) With the card in hand, line up with your major as directed by the signs.
Hold on to your name card - Hand it to the reader as you approach the stage during the presentation of diploma covers.
Receiving a Bachelor's and Master's degree - Line up with the Master’s candidates. Both your Bachelor’s and Master’s degree will be acknowledged and you will receive two diploma covers.
3. Processional. At 11:00 a.m., you will be led with the others in your major from the West Annex onto the playing floor and to your seat.
4. Presentation of Graduates. Graduates will stand one row at a time, beginning with the front row, and follow an usher onto the south track, back to the playing floor, then across to the stage. Hand your card to the reader. Walk across the stage as your name is being read. You will be greeted by administrators and receive your diploma cover. A professional photographer will take your picture as you receive your cover. (You will be informed how to order these pictures.) Exit from the south side of the stage and follow the usher to be seated. During the ceremony, please don't have anything in your hands that you don't absolutely need. Leave cameras, purses, etc. with your families. You won't want anything in your hands as you receive your diploma and you won't return to the seat you left.
5. Master's Recipients. You will be seated on the back rows and be the last to cross the stage.
6. Doctoral Recipients. If you are planning to attend convocation, please contact Pam Williamson in advance at email@example.com. For Convocation exercises, you will need to line up just behind the stage in the Smith Fieldhouse. Please identify yourself to the usher as a doctoral recipient.
7. Cap and Gown. Following convocation exercises, the audience will remain seated during the Recessional while graduates file out. Master and Doctoral recipients will need to return caps and gowns to the Hinckley Center or to the third floor of the BYU Bookstore.
8. Diploma Covers. You will receive a diploma cover automatically if you attend convocation. If you do not attend, you can pick up a cover (or order one) from: Records Office, B-150 ASB, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT 84602
9. Diplomas. Diplomas will be mailed in about six weeks to the address listed as your mailing address on Route Y. Be sure to update that address if you move.
10. Light Buffet. Immediately following the convocation there will be a light buffet served in the commons area of the Clyde for all graduates and their guests.
BYU DRESS AND GROOMING STANDARDS REQUIRED OF ALL PARTICIPATING GRADUATES